Paleo diet is primarily based on a diet of ancestors who hunt and who gather foods. This also includes unprocessed and whole foods that bring healthy effects on the body. Ancestors are just the same with modern humans. They thrive to eat those types of foods to be free from diseases like heart diseases, diabetes, and obesity.
If you are new to this type of diet and you have no idea of the type of food you need to eat, here is a general guideline on what to eat on a Paleo diet. You may as well adapt this guide to meet your unique and personal preferences.
Basic Paleo Diet Guide
You must eat eggs, vegetable, meat, fish, seeds, nuts, spices, herbs, oils and healthy fats. You must also avoid eating processed foods, grains, soft drinks, sugar, legumes, dairy products, vegetable oils, artificial sweeteners, trans fat, and margarine.
Foods You Need to Eat
Base your paleo diet on eating real foods and not more on eating unprocessed foods.
- Meat – For meat, you may try eating pork, turkey, lamb, beef, chicken and others.
- Seafood and Fish – You may eat shellfish, trout, shrimp, salmon, haddock and others. As far as seafood and fishes are concerned, choose for wild-caught foods on the sea.
- Eggs – Choose for pastured, free range or omega three enrich type of eggs.
- Vegetables – For vegetables, eat up kale, broccoli, carrots, onions, peppers, tomatoes and others.
- Fruits – When it comes to fruits, Paleo diet suggests you eat apples, oranges, bananas, pears, strawberries, avocados, blueberries and others.
- Tubers – Eat yams, turnips, sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc.
- Seeds and Nuts – Eat macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and even more.
- Healthy Oils and Fats – Coconut oil, tallow, lard, avocado oil, olive oil and others.
- Spices and Salt – Himalayan salt, sea salt, rosemary, garlic, turmeric, etc.
You may also choose for pasture raised, grass-fed and organic foods if you have all the money. If ever you don’t have one, choose for least processed choices of foods.
Paleo Diet Snacks
Paleo diet doesn’t require you to eat more than three types of meals every day. If ever you get hungry, here are some of the healthy paleo diet food snacks that you may eat:
- Hard-boiled egg
- Baby carrots
- One piece of any fruit you like
- Handful of nut
- Leftover foods a night before
- Apple slices combined with almond butter
- A bowl of some berries combined with coconut cream
- Homemade beef jerkies
These are only some of the best foods to eat on a paleo diet. Do not put any limits on eating any of these foods as long as you are aware of benefits these all can bring to your body. There are still a lot more of foods to eat apart from the mentioned ones.
Knowing the different foods to eat on the paleo diet in advance is essential especially to those novices in this type of diet. If ever you are not so sure of the foods to eat, you may just visit and seek immediate help from your medical and health professionals. They will simply guide you on what to eat on paleo.